Friday, May 4, 2007

Thur. 3rd MAY. Training walk in the Blackall Range




Since the beginning of March I've been doing a bit of walking (with backpack & 5kg. weight in each hand) and also been running VERY early in the mornings before it gets light. I've gradually upped the distance run to a 5km. circuit which fits in nicely with getting to work. So, in March I walked 47 km. & ran 36 km. - total 83 km. In April I walked 28 km. & ran 58.5 km. - total 86.5 km. Time to up the ante.

Yesterday I went for a long walk along trails in the rainforest north of Brisbane, near Maleny - part of 'The Great Queensland Walk'. It was very dry which made it easier - less slippy, no rivers to cross and no leeches. There was a total climb of over 600 m. - 2000 feet - and a distance of 29 km. - 18 English miles. I did it in 6 hours and was amazed to find I was able to walk without any pain this morning!

Discovery Channel has been screening a great documentary on Everest which really shows what it's like at ABC and beyond. A good incentive to keep the exercise going.

No comments: