Friday, June 1, 2007

31st May - No Picnic on Mt. Barney

Mt. Barney. 1354 m. - 4442 ft. (36 ft. higher than Ben Nevis!)

So, I had a free day and decided to attempt Mt. Barney on the Queensland/New South Wales border - about 120 km. from Brisbane.
I set off at 4.30 am and started walking at 6.30. It was cold and with low cloud - and we're in the middle of a drought! I was hoping the cloud would clear by mid morning.

A couple of hours walking/scrambling up the South Ridge brought me to the cloud level and then it got a bit unpleasant. There is no defined track. I got wet and cold. The rocks were as slippery as a really slippery thing and I was the only person on a mountain notorious for people getting lost & rescued. Time to go down. THEN I got lost. Ended up on the wrong ridge. The ridge I wanted to be on needed wings to get to. In fact it just meant retracing my tracks for about an hour and regaining the apology for a trail. Got back to the car about 2.00 pm somewhat bedraggled.
Anyway, it was great exercise & fresh air. Another 13 km and about 3000 ft. of 'uphill' for the training.

This is the view of Mount Lindsey from high up the South Ridge.

No comments: