Saturday, June 9, 2007

9th June. What's in a name?

I'm not sure whether to feel amazed, disturbed, behind the times, flabbergasted or just bemused. Yesterday I read in the Brisbane 'Courier Mail' (so it must be true) that by the end of the year 'Mohammed' will become the most popular name for new-born boys in the UK! Apparently, it is currently 2nd to 'Jack'.

When names for my kids were being considered, just before they were born, the 1986 edition of 'The Guinness book of Names' reliably informed me that the top 10 boys names for 1985 were;
Christopher, Matthew, David, James, Daniel, Andrew, Steven, Michael, Mark, Paul.

1900 was a splendid time with the top 10 being;
William, John, George, Thomas, Charles, Frederick, Arthur, James, Albert, Ernest.

Ah! Those were the days my boy!

No comments: